Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Press conference sheds new light on Robin Williams' death

SAN RAFAEL, CA – The Marin County Coroner’s Office released new details in the death of actor and comedian Robin Williams. At a press conference Tuesday, Lt. Keith Boyd with the Marin County Sheriff’s Office and Assistant Chief Deputy confirmed certain aspects of Williams’s death.

Williams, 63, lived with his wife Susan Schneider at a home on St. Thomas Drive in Marin County. He was pronounced dead by firefighters from the Tiburon Fire Department at 12:02 p.m. PDT Tuesday.

“On August 11 at approximately 11:55 a.m., Marin County communications received a 911 telephone call reporting a male adult had been located unconscious and not breathing,” Boyd said “The caller was distraught and indicated an apparent suicide due to a hanging had taken place and rigor mortis had set in.”

Boyd said Williams was last seen alive by his wife at approximately 10:30 p.m. local time Sunday evening being retiring for the evening.

It is unknown at this time when Mr. Williams’ retired for the evening in a bedroom in his home. At approximately 10:30 a.m. Mr. Williams’ wife left the home believing Mr. Williams to still be asleep,” Boyd said “Mr. Williams’ personal assistant became concerned at approximately 11:45 a.m. when he failed to respond to knocks on his bedroom door.”
Boyd confirmed that Williams had been seeking treatment for depression and said the preliminary cause of death has been listed as asphyxia due to hanging. In describing the scene Boyd said there were no injuries indicating a struggle or physical altercation

“The personal assistant was able to gain access to Mr. Williams' bedroom and entered the bedroom to find Mr. Williams clothed in a seated position, unresponsive, and with a belt secured around his neck with the other end of the belt wedged between the closed closet door and door frame,” Boyd said. “His right shoulder area was touching the door with his body was perpendicular to the door and slightly

Williams’ body was transported to the Napa County Sheriff’s Office Morgue by the Coroner Division. The pending a forensic examination was conducted Wednesday morning Dr. Joseph Cohen the Sheriff’s Office Chief Forensic Pathologist.

“The inside of Mr. Williams’ left wrist had several acute superficial transverse cuts. A pocket knife with a closed blade was located in close proximity to Mr. Williams,” Boyd said. “The pocket knife was examined and dry red material was located on the blade which appeared consistent to dried blood.

Boyd said it is unknown the dried red material is blood or if it is Williams’ blood.

Toxicology testing will be conducted to determine if Williams had any chemical substances in his system at his time of death. The results will not be available for approximately two to six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment